A gel bike seat is a type of bicycle seat that has a cushioning layer made from a rubber-like material filled with small round gel beads. The gel absorbs much of the vibration and pressure when riding, making it more comfortable to sit on for long periods. They were developed in the early 1990s by an Italian company Selle Royal under the brand name “Gel Seat.”
A gel bike seat can be a good alternative if you want to avoid the normal problems that people have with your regular bike seats. Even though there are some problems, they can help you in riding for a longer time and increase your comfort while doing it.
The pros of using such types of seats: You will not feel pain when biking for long; you can ride as long as your body allows; it is an adjustable bike seat which means that if needed, you can modify it to fit better and provide a better position.
Even though they are very comfortable, the gel bike seats also have some problems: They might break faster than other types because of the weight and pressure put on them; they can also be slippery, and you need to put more pressure on your body so that it doesn’t slip away.
If you plan on biking for several hours, these types of bike seats might help you, but if only going for a few miles or more than an hour, they would not be suitable, and you should better stick to the regular bike seats.
Some types of gel bike seats in the market:
- Aerius – the seat is made with quality memory foam and has a gel ring top. It can be used on several types of bikes, even racing bicycle seats, no matter how narrow they are. Its weight is 1lb, and it is 7.5″ long. The seat dimensions are 11″ x 10″, which means that you have a bigger space to sit compared to the regular bicycle seats.
- Waterproof Gel Bike Seat – this seat is created from a combination of gel and foam which means that you have the comfort of a gel ring with a thicker base for better positioning. You can use it on different types of bikes because it comes with different mounts, even though your seat might not be able to hold them. The weight is 1.6lbs, and it is 8.5″ at the base. The width dimensions are 12″ x 12″, which makes this gel bike seat a bit smaller compared to the Aerius one mentioned above.
- GT Waterproof Gel Bike Seat – this type of gel seat can be used on racing bicycle seats because it has been developed with a narrow design. The gel seat can be used with or without the cover. It is 8.5″ wide and weighs 1lb.
- Vibrelli Gel Bike Seat – This seat is designed to be used on different types of bicycle seats because it comes with mounts that fit pretty much every type. It has a special technology which means that you can adjust the vibration, making your ride smoother and more comfortable. The gel seat weighs 1lb which makes it lighter than other types of gel seats. The width dimensions are 13.4″ x 8.7″.
- Memory Gel Bike Seat – this seat has a memory foam design combined with a gel ring which makes it one of the best types of seats. It can be used on different bicycle models, and you don’t need to use any mounts because they are already installed in the seat. It has a weight of 1.6lbs, and it is 9″ wide, which means that you will have more space to be comfortable when using this type of gel bike seat.
Gel seats are a great alternative if you want to avoid the usual problems associated with regular bicycle seats. They can help you ride longer without feeling too much pain, and they can be adjusted to fit your needs. Although they do have several problems, such as breaking faster than other types of seats and having a tendency for slipping away if you don’t use it properly, using this type of gel seat is still a great idea.
Therefore, if you want to make your rides more comfortable and you don’t mind spending a bit of extra money on the gel seat, go for it and see how much difference it makes.